CARLO SALZANI is an Italian philosophy scholar and translator currently based in Vienna. His research and teaching concern continental philosophy – particularly political philosophy and biopolitics – and animal studies, with an emphasis on animal ethics.
Carlo is a Visiting Researcher (Gastwissenschaftler) at the Messerli Research Institute, University of Vienna. Having studied philosophy at the university of Verona, Carlo obtained his PhD in Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies from Monash University, Australia. He went on to serve as Alexander von Humboldt Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the University of Bonn, Germany, before accepting Visiting Professorships at the Pontificia Università Antonianum, Rome, and the Máster en Derecho Animal y Sociedad (Master in Animal Rights and Society), Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona.
Carlo is the author of three books, namely Constellations of Reading: Walter Benjamin in Figures of Actuality (2009), Crisi e possibilità: Robert Musil e il tramonto dell’Occidente (2010), and Introduzione a Giorgio Agamben (2013). He has co-edited five volumes, Essays on Boredom and Modernity (with Barbara Dalle Pezze, 2009), Philosophy and Kafka (with Brendan Moral, 2013), Towards the Critique of Violence: Walter Benjamin and Giorgio Agamben (with Brendan Moral, 2015), Agamben’s Philosophical Lineage (with Adam Kotsko, 2017), and Saramago’s Philosophical Heritage (with Kristof Vanhoutte, 2018). Carlo has translated fifteen books, including works by Slavoj Žižek and Walter Benjamin, as well as numerous essays and book chapters, from English, German, French, and Italian into English or Italian. Currently, Carlo is working with Felice Cimatti on an edited volume on “Animality in Contemporary Italian Philosophy.”
To find out more about Carlo, check out his:
- VII International José Saramago Conference: “José Saramago’s Philosophical and Socio-Political Heritage”
- Bookaholics #10: Walter Benjamin and the Actuality of Critique (YouTube) (SoundCloud)
- PICT Voices #2: Giorgio Agamben & the State of Exception (YouTube) (SoundCloud)
- Actuality and Critique in Walter Benjamin (The Faculty Lounge)
- COVID-19 and the State of Exception: Medicine, Politics, and the Epidemic State (dePICTions)
- Critical Tools for the Animal Crisis (dePICTions)
- No Climate Justice Without Justice for Animals (dePICTions)
- Pigeons, Pigs, and the Optimism of Reason (dePICTions)
- Pointing Beyond: Agamben and the Animal (The Faculty Lounge)
- The Limits of a Paradigm: Agamben, the Yellow Star, and the Nazi Analogy (The Faculty Lounge)
- Unauthorized Freedom: Agamben’s Anarchism à l’épreuve of the Pandemic (The Faculty Lounge)
Photo Credit: © by Alessandro Chiodo (VG Bild-Kunst)